Below is a copy of http://shu8.github.io/SE_Notifications/:
Stack Exchange Notifications
This userscript will make HTML5 notifications popup when something happens on a question that you have open in a different tab. This is useful for keeping track of events without having to keep going back to see whether a new comment has been added, or an edit has been made. Inspired by this question on Meta.SE.
How to use
- You need an access token. Get one here
- Install Greasemonkey (Firefox) or Tampermonkey (Chrome). These are userscript managers and allow the script to make use of
GM_*functions, which it relies on to save your access token
- Install the script: Install or View source
What events cause a notification?
- A new comment will make a notification displaying the comment (uses the API to get the new comment, hence the access token requirement)
- A new edit will notify you an edit has been made
- A new answer will notify you it has been added
- Accepts/unnaccepts will notify you the action has taken place
- Score changes to any posts will notify you there has been a score change
- Thanks to everybody's efforts at Meta.SE to document the Web Sockets that Stack Exchange uses. This userscript uses these sockets to find out if there has been a new event. Go upvote them here!
- Your browser needs too support Web Socket and HTML5 notifications for this to work
- This userscript needs an access token because it uses the API to get the 'new comment' and display it to you in the notification; without an access token, you'd probably end up making too many calls and get blocked for a day!
Bugs & Feature-requests
Please post any bugs or feature requests at the GitHub rep, where I will watch and try my best to add the feature/fix the bug :)