Newt is a simple Mac OS X utility that notifies you about new questions, answers, comments and reputation changes. Now, everyone can become a Jon Skeet!
I enjoyed making this app very much and glad that many people found it useful as well. However, with other things taking over, I found I have little time to maintain it or for StackExchange in general. And now that the old SE API is shut down, it is effectively broken. There are, however, plenty of other worthy notification apps around: many more than there were three years ago when I started writing Newt.
I wish you worthy questions and thoughtful answers! And leave a message if you'd like to take over and maintain Newt.
Screenshot / Code Snippet
Notifications are dispalyed with Growl.
Customizable settings with support for new Stack Exchange sites.
The main interface is located in the status bar.
Newt is for people who want to follow their favourite Stack Exchange sites, but don't want to constantly click the refresh button. It'll notify you about questions on interesting topics, answers to your questions, comments for you and reputation changes.
It's also intended to be simple and intuitive, so even non-programmers can use it.
- Install Growl notifications manager if you don't already have it.
- Download package, open it, copy
Newt.appinto the Applications folder and launch it.
- Configure preferences through status bar icon.
- (Optional) Configure notification settings in System Preferences/Other/Growl
- Runs on Mac OS X 10.5 or later.
In the profile.
- Inspiration: New Q
- Some ideas: SOAPI-Notify and SENotify
- Tools used: Plausible Blocks, JSON Framework, Growl Framework, Create-dmg, Sparkle, Google Toolbox for Mac
- Written in Objective-C for Cocoa.
- Suggestions, corrections, bug reports and code contributions are welcome. (In particular, application desperately misses good icons)
- Code is accessible on GitHub.
New in version 2.1
- Automatic Updates - Each time there's a new version, you'll be notified and update will be installed automatically.
- Quiet Mode - Only comments and answers are delivered.
- Better HTML support - No more
- Improved error reporting - Each time there's error (network connection, API limit, etc.), the status bar icon changes and its title is set to an error description.
New in version 2.2
- Reputation tracker - You can check reputation just by clicking application icon. You'll be also notified about reputation changes on all sites. (This can be turned off in Growl settings.)
Let me know what you'd like to see. Some ideas:
- Go to Sleep Mode with the computer
- More customizable settings