This app no longer works. It uses a version of the API that was decommissioned in May of 2014.
Stay ahead of the pack
soapi-notify is an easy to use windows application that monitors Stack Exchange sites for new questions.
You may filter the questions that are notified by tag. You may choose to see only questions that contain a tag or to see only questions that do not contain a tag.
soapi-notify may be minimized to the notification tray area by pressing the space bar.
You may optionally receive notification via Growl for Windows. soapi-notify carries it's own custom Growl displays that provide a detailed view of questions in a familiar format.
The soapi-notify displays also provide 2 unique capabilities:
- Selective pinning: If you would like to keep a question on-screen, simply click the grey lock icon. It will turn gold and the notification will remain on screen while others time out and fade away.
- Updating: A pinned question notification will be updated at regular intervals to reflect the current state of the question.
soapi-notify requires no installation.
Simply place the file in a convenient location and run it from the command line or create a shortcut.
To view command line usage, execute soapi-notify -?
To use the GUI configurator simply execute soapi-notify
You may simply run
soapi-notify to invoke the GUI configuration or directly from the command line or from a batch file or windows shortcut.
--sites, -s=VALUE Sites to monitor, semi-colon delimited. possible values: serverfault;stackoverflow;superuser;meta.stackoverflow;stackapps --tags, -t=VALUE If specified, only questions containing these tags will be notified. semi-colon delimited. example: c#;sqlite --exclude, -x Exclude questions containing tags specified in tags|t --poll, -p=VALUE Polling interval in seconds, default to 60 seconds. Minimum value is 60. --growl, -g Enable growl notification (need growl for windows) --update, -u Update pinned questions. Note: this option requires Growl For Windows and the use of one of the soapi-notify displays. --help, -h, -? Show usage.
The configurator can be used to run soapi-notify or as a command-line builder by copying the command line text.
- To open the question in the default browser, left click the notification.
- To close a notification, right-click the notification
- Alt-X to close the oldest notification
- Alt-Shift-X to close all open notifications
To take advantage of the pin-able and update-able displays you must open growl to the 'application' tab.
soapi-info is released under the MIT/X11 open source license.
- Windows XP/Vista/7 etc etc (tested on XP and 7. Confirmation of other platforms appreciated)
- .Net framework 3.5
- Growl notification requires installation of Growl for Windows
Possible future release for Mono
soapi-notify was written in C# in Visual Studio 2008.
Version: 220.127.116.11 - changed api version from 0.9 to 1.0
- changed api version from 0.8 to 0.9
- incorporated custom pin-able and update-able growl displays
- economized api calls
- embedded custom display deployment resulting in a single file deployment
- added gui 'configurator'
- moved to .net 3.5 to eliminate JSON.net dependency
- incorporated ILMerge into build process to merge the Growl assemblies to produce a single executable file
- fixed phantom tray icon issues
- fixed odd issue with capturing keys. now single press of spacebar will minimize the app.
- removed default sticky (this can be configured in growl)
- added link to question. Click notification to open question. Right-Click notification to close.
- fixed timezone issues
- added minimize to tray. press space twice to minimize.
- the ability to monitor existing questions
- extended filtering support
- @you notifications
- proxy support
These will be incorporated gradually over the next month or so. I need to finish some other projects and get a job. Anyone who wants to help out may submit patches and perhaps be added to the team.
Total Cost: 18 developer hours over 3 days