The Stack Overflow Unofficial Patch (SOUP) is a project to collect various minor client-side bug fixes, work-arounds and usability improvements for Stack Overflow and other Q&A sites on the Stack Exchange Network into a single user script.
The intent of SOUP is not to make any substantial or controversial changes to the Stack Exchange user interface, but to fix minor problems and omissions that the SE developers have overlooked or haven't got around to fixing yet. By combining these minor patches into a single user script, they become easier to install and maintain.
The easiest way to install SOUP is to use the Greasemonkey (for Firefox) or Tampermonkey (for Chrome) extension for managing user scripts. (Other similar extensions, like Scriptish or NinjaKit, should also work.) After installing the extension, clicking the "download / install" button below should bring up a dialog asking you if you want to install SOUP. Answer "yes".
The "install" link above is for the stable branch of SOUP. If you like living on the edge, you can also install the development version, which gets all the latest fixes and updates as soon as they're written. Of course, it also gets all the latest bugs, too. If you do install the development version, please report any bugs or regressions you may find in it below!
SOUP can also be used on other browsers with compatible user script support, such as Opera or Safari. For detailed instructions on how to enable and install user scripts on different browsers, see the "script" tag wiki on Stack Apps.
When installing SOUP on Opera, please remove the "
.user" part from the file name to disable Greasemonkey compatibility mode. While SOUP can run in either native or compatibility mode, a few MathJax-related fixes require native mode.
SOUP has not yet been tested on Safari, but in principle it should work. If you do try to use it, please let me know how / if it works.
SOUP v1.26 includes fixes or workarounds for the following issues:
- mse215473: Add a non-breaking space to “reopen (1)” and its ilk
- mse138685: Layout fix for Firefox in “Zoom text only” mode
- mse114109: Background in OP's user name can obscure text in multiline comments
- mse143973: Images can be pushed outside the boundaries of a post by using nested lists
- mse217120: Ugly overflows when editing a deleted answer inline
- mse145819: <hr/>'s do not get rendered in deleted answers
- mse108046: Mouse cursor doesn't change to pointer when hovering “full site” on mobile
- mse110566: Does the spoiler markdown work on images?
- mse58760: <kbd> (yes, still <kbd>) doesn't play nice with lists
- mse219740: Add spacing / padding to “Protected By…” and “Not the answer you're looking for”
- mse203405: Excerpt of privilege is below privilege instead of in front
- mse210165: Extra blue line appearing in the top bar (Firefox only)
- mse154788: Why are comments overlapping the sidebar?
- mse214830: Selecting text in profile activity comments causes unexpected clipping
- mse230392: Layout bug while viewing vote count in Meta Stackexchange
- physics5773: Bounty icon is poorly placed
- mse224185: Links sometimes float above text in vote-to-close dialog on Firefox
- mse231981: Overly long user location entry breaks mobile users view (mobile view only)
- mse167975: Bug in textarea in bounty creation popup
- mse233517: Badge symbol in notification is of the site you're on, not where badge was earned
- mse169225: Why does the bounty award button appear on deleted answers?
- mse84296: RTL text can mess up comment timestamps
- mse240710: Was the fringe always there on the up-rep icon?
Site-specific CSS fixes
These pure CSS fixes are for issues specific to certain sites on the Stack Exchange network. Most of them are applied on on the affected site(s), although a few are applied globally, even though the issue they fix is only apparent on some sites.
- skeptics2636: Links in promotion ads are black on black, thus invisible
- math12803: “Sign up for the newsletter” button overflows the frame on Firefox / Linux (partially applied globally)
- japanese1023: Preformatted text in Japanese doesn't line up properly
- gaming8530: Hovering over the community links changes the header height (applied globally)
- codegolf959: Add line-height shortener to the ascii-art tag
- english4719: Background of long OP username looks ugly in comments
- skeptics2747: Links are not visible in On Hold message
- mse229751: Related questions with over 99 score display incorrectly
- mse229797: You are here, but where's here?
- math16552: Using [tag:] markup in posts creates an ugly gap between lines
- mse239223: Spacing between reputation change and question title on user page sometimes missing
- salesforce836: Div containing 2 minute tour button not big enough
These fixes apply only to the Stack Exchange Network chat.
- mse155308: Ignoring somebody screws up the avatar list
- mse216760: The reply buttons in chat shouldn't reposition themselves on pinged messages
- mse222509: Getting Red Line under tags
- mse134268: U+0008 inserted into chat @-pings
- mse224233: Problem in css style loading in Search Bar after refresh page when using FF
- mse217779: The CSS for spoilers is a mess. Let's fix it!
- mse78989: Clicking on tags broken?
- mse207526: Cannot navigate into the multicollider with keyboard
- mse129593: Un-fade low-score answers on rollover or click
- mse214706: The branch prediction answer is overflowing
- mse66646: Confirming context menu entries via Enter triggers comment to be posted
- mse210132: New top bar should render avatar with a transparent background
- mse220337: Election comments have no permalink link
- mse172931: Please put answers underneath questions in Close review queue
- mse224533: Soft-hyphen hides subsequent text when using Opera 12.16
- mse223866: Add thousand separator for helpful flags count in user profiles
- mse115702: Option to delete an answer only visible after a reload
- mse227975: Why does the logo not show up when signing up for a site and confirming the account?
- mse231150: Clicking the top bar sometimes loads the SE homepage, sometimes shows the site switcher
- mse234680: Domain names in an URL are incorrectly encoded as escaped ASCII characters instead of punycode
- mse266852: Bar between “add a comment” and “show more comments” is inconsistent
- mse239549: Mobile user profile page sort selectors stop working after first change
- mse240417: Inside or outside?
- mse240102: Lightbox sometimes doesn't go away when popup is closed in user profile editor
- mse240790: Dangling signature dash in comments
- mse220611: Blue background on nominee comments only when expanded
- boardgames1152: Can the Magic card auto link feature be improved?
- french347: Make spaces unbreakable when it's obvious that a line-break should not occur
These fixes are only applied when using Stack Exchange over HTTPS. Note that HTTPS support for Stack Exchange is still experimental.
- mse223725: All internal links on Stack Exchange sites should be protocol-relative
- mse221304: Make all i.stack.imgur.com links protocol-relative
- mse226343: Chat link in top bar isn't site-specific when using HTTPS
- mse220470: CSS for daily site access calendar on profile page fails to load over HTTPS
These fixes apply only to sites using MathJax for LaTeX math rendering.
- mse209393: Render MathJax in the 10k tools
- math11036: Can we have the suggested questions' titles parsed by default?
- cs537: Missing MathJaX in the duplicate subtab of the close review queue
- math4130: The scope of \newcommand is the entire page
- math11392: MathJax preview broken when equations contain
- mse229363: Exclude TeX.SE question titles from MathJax parsing in Hot Network Questions
SOUP is distributed under the ISC license, a permissive BSD-style open source license.
In addition, permission is given to Stack Exchange, Inc. to make use of SOUP code in any way they see fit, including but not limited to incorporating all or parts of it within the Stack Exchange codebase, with or without credit.
If you know a user script or stylesheet patch for SO or other SE sites that would be suitable for inclusion in SOUP, or an unfixed issue that you believe might be worth patching, please let me know (e.g. by posting a comment or an answer the SOUP page on Stack Apps).
If you'd like to help me out by contributing new fixes directly to SOUP, the SOUP wiki on GitHub has some useful tips. Any and all contributions will be appreciated!