I know this would be subjective on a normal SE site but as the relevant chat rooms are mostly dormant, we have no meta site, and nobody noticed when I asked if this kind of question is OK here, I'm just gonna ask m'kay? (-:
I want to make a little tool which needs to read all the tags, all the synonyms, and a bunch of the tag wikis. I'm just hacking for now and I'm happy with doing small requests with no app key. I also find it an interesting exercise. I'd like to know how some of the library and wrapper developers here did it and bounce some ideas around.
- How many requests are OK to send simultaneously?
- How to wait between requests, or how to know when to wait?
- Send all requests through a "manager"? Or do them manually with some guidelines and watching response feedback fields such as "back off"?
- How much of the per-IP limits to use? You never know when other stuff is running on the same IP.
- Handle the different limits for with vs without key.
- For long lists requiring multiple requests, one request first to find the total? Or first iteration of the loop reads the total?
- Retry lost portions? I can't be the only one with an often flaky connection.