Screenshot / Code Snippet
Ever wanted to see just what kind of locations are posting to the various Stack Exchange sites at any given time? Even if you haven't, you'll find it with StackGeography.
NEW! Now with multiple-site concurrent polling goodness!
No download necessary, just visit stackgeography.apphb.com.
NOTE: With AppHarbor phasing out free custom domains at the end of the month, if www.stackgeography.com stops resolving correctly, you should be able to get there with the direct AppHarbor domain: stackgeography.apphb.com.
Bugs and requests and such can go on the StackGeography GitHub repository.
- jQuery v1.7.1 (MIT or GPL) (used for just about everything)
- jQuery UI v1.8.16 (MIT or GPL) (used for the site selection dialog)
- URI.js (MIT or GPL) (used to simplify URL handling)
- jquery-jsonp (MIT) (better JSONP error handling, though $.Deferred support isn't built-in)
- jquery.hotkeys (MIT or GPL) (hit "?" for keyboard shortcut dialog)
- geoPlugin (geo IP lookup used for map centering)
- Ability to poll meta Stack Exchange sites, defaults to omit to keep site list shorter (toggle via saved option).
- Marker placement can be staggered via saved option.
- Clear map markers via #.
- Polling multiple sites concurrently! The UI still needs work, but if you return to site selection by pressing S, you can keep adding sites to poll.
- Polling management: hit P to view pending polls and cancel some/all of them.
- Options management: hit O to view/set options (more options to come).
- Using localStore for StackGeography options (currently only saving last selected site and maximum map markers).
- Mark questions with site-specific map markers.
- Options window:
- Toggle site-based map markers vs. generic stackgeography.com map marker.
- Change max number of markers shown (default 500).
- Switched to ASP.NET MVC to make it easier to output-cache common API hits on the server.
- Added location geocoding in batches (up to 100).
- Added filters to the Stack Exchange API calls to cut down on JSON coming back from those requests.
- Switched to SQL Server on AppHarbor to avoid locking issues on geocode cache inserts.
- Added keyboard shortcuts (? brings up hint window).
- Google Maps 403 issue patched with server-side caching proxy for geocoding API requests.