Stack Exchange now updates your reputation score in real time. There is no more need to install this extension.
This userscript, based on SOApi.js, injects itself in all SE pages and polls the API for reputation changes every 60 seconds.
When your reputation changes, this is quietly announced at the top of the page and the top reputation counter is joyfully updated.
The notification is displayed using the
.hot class, ensuring each site gets design-appropriate notifications.
If you are on a per-site meta (MSO excluded) updates are fetched from the parent site instead.
API calls use detail
Exactly one API call is made per tab per 60 seconds, starting from the 60th second spent on the window. Hence, if you're quickly flipping through pages no call is made. This may still eat your thousand requests per day pretty fast if you leave many tabs open.
Technically, no two identical requests are sent, unless by multiple tabs indipendently or one of them fails for any reason.
_start_SO_Live_debug() setTimeout(SO_Live_demo, 7000)
This will make the userscript behave as if all rep changes that you had in the last month happened in the last 60 seconds. The reputation score is not reset to its actual value after this.
Copyright (c) 2010.
The jQuery library, SOApi.js and my code are licensed under the MIT license.
- View Source
Install: you don't need this extension any longer! Stack Exchange added this feature on its own.
This user script is actively tested on Chrome and Chromium only.
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The code is in this git repository. Click Fork and get hacking!
Patches/forks welcome. Here are some ideas for improvement, in order of priority:
- better error handling - reschedule failed requests
- better handling of overlapping
- disable updating when the tab isn't focused
- use HTTP5 storage to keep track of fill you in on rep updates while you weren't watching
- when on per site metas, either grab the live reputation score ASAP or do nothing at all
- code refactoring into something that doesn't make you want to puke